Matt ROCKS

There's no place like home...there's no place like home...


Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Gapartment: A garage called home?

We have arrived! Well, actually we've been here since late Thursday night/early Friday morning. We arrived only knowing that we'd be staying at the hotel on post for a couple days and no other plan beyond that. However, we soon found a new home that will allow us to be able to save money, which is always a good idea! :)

It was a hard decision not to rent the typical 3 bed/2bath home, but with the prices for rent coupled with the sketchy area, particularly right outside post, we opted for this apartment that is in this HUGE garage. The owners built this garage and apartment and they lived in it for 2 years while they were building their {very nice} home on the property. Now, they rent this space out, primarily to military tenants.
this is the entire garage; notice I had to get this entire pic using a panoramic app. the Gapartment entry is on the left. Told ya it is HUGE! Promise its so much nicer inside than it looks on the outside!

country road leading back to main hwy

massive flagpole on the property

I must admit I wasn't sold on this idea at first, and since this is so a-typical {to live in a garage}, I feel like I need to defend our decision. Well, it's very private and not connected to their house, 1100 sq ft, 1 bed/1 bath, large kitchen and living room combo, plus the use of half of the huge garage. I've playfully nicknamed the place the 'Gapartment'. This was the best decision financially since rent is low, all utilities are included, so we will be saving a good bit on that alone. Plus, it's sorta out in the country so we can use his 10 acres if we so desire and we will feel safer.

In reality, we don't need the standard 3/2 combo; this will suit us just fine for now. The owners repainted the entire inside and they are installing new carpet this week! It'll feel brand new! :) We should be good to start moving our stuff in later this week! I'm hoping we can get our household goods around the same time! Fingers crossed!Let the decorating begin, I guess! I'll include some more pictures when we get our stuff in! Wish us luck!

In between frantically looking for homes, we have been exploring the city and surrounding areas. They have a QT for a gas station which has this amazing slushy drink called Rooster Booster Energy drink (we first discovered these in Atlanta and they are so worth it!) We ate the BEST mac n'cheese for dinner last night. I had this the last time we visited and it's soooo amazing. Just look at the pic. 
Warning: your mouth will water!

They have a grocery store called Price Chopper, which is comparable to a Publix. They have motion activated coolers!!! Motion.Activated, PEOPLE!!! Check the vid below:

Before you ask, yes, that is my husband, and yes I do claim him. :) Serisously, never a dull moment, never! ha!

Today we toured Atchison which is an old, historic town. Most of the house rentals claimed that these houses are haunted. This town is the birthplace of Amelia Earhart (sp?).

We stopped by the local WalMart where I discovered these red beauties. It was only suitable to try them on given that we are now in KS and there's truly no place like home. ;)



And just cause she's too cute, we had to document what a rough life Bella is living..




So far, so good! Just looking forward to some normalcy, whatever that may be. For now, we'll enjoy the hotel room with a REAL bed and the complimentary breakfast every morning! It's like having a mother to cook breakfast every day! It totally ROCKS! :)

Ta-ta for now!

Heisel Rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment