Matt ROCKS

There's no place like home...there's no place like home...


Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day 2015

Today I'm thinking about all the mothers in my life, and the 19 months that I've been a mom. I look back on my own "coming of motherhood" and the 45 hours I gave bringing my son into this world. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. It's not an easy job, and definitely not for the faint of heart, but GOSH how wonderfully rewarding it is! What did I ever do before Henry came along?
moments after I was given the title of mom :)
our moms adoring Henry right after he was born. :)
I was blessed with a young, loving mother who had ample time in my early years to spend nurturing us.  I was taught love with hugs and kisses. Later she'd have to go back to a 9-5 and work her butt off to provide for us as a single parent, which left little time otherwise. However, she managed to drive us to soccer or basketball every weekend.

And even though she didn't have all the time in the world, she taught us some really important things- be kind to others, have manners (I can recall her repeating- "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all"), and most important of all- take care of each other. She still says that all we have in this world is each other. And even though her love language is giving gifts, each of these life's lessons was shown to us by example…proving that the truest, most precious gifts aren't the ones given, but the ones shown and felt. I think of this when I'm teaching my son manners, respect, and being a loving, kind child.

I didn't "get it" until I had my own son, that deep desire to hold onto every last moment that so swiftly passes. It hurts a bit to see your baby grow. And where I've only had 19 months so far, under my belt (holding up my mom jeans-ha!), I can so relate. It stings. It burns even. The real meaning of heartburn, I'm certain. And I'm sure it'll only hurt worse with time, but it also gets better. Your baby will grow into more of a friend as your relationship continues to evolve. We won't constantly have to correct certain behaviors, or deal with tantrums daily. I look forward to this one day with Henry.

Becoming a mother is a beautiful, wonderful thing that should be celebrated everyday, but wherever you are in your journey through motherhood, find something wonderful about it to celebrate today. And be sure to tell your mom you love her and thank her for giving you life. She needs to hear that.

Happy Mother's Day to all you awesome mommas! And thanks to my baby boy Henry for giving me the best job ever! I love you, son! 

……………………..

 PS here's a little mini session I shot really quickly today. Please excuse the quality- it was dark and stormy out, there was little light in the room at that moment, and I was using a self timer. :)







Heisel Rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment