Matt ROCKS

There's no place like home...there's no place like home...


Monday, June 9, 2014

First steps

We celebrate many first steps in life- our actual first steps, first jobs, moving, dating, and then two years ago as husband and wife. I've reflected on my fondness of our wedding day before (here). I've doted on how much it meant that all of our family and friends were there and how in love we were, and still are. It was the perfect day. Now, two years later, we've expanded our family and welcomed Prince Henry into our lives. Nothing can prepare you for how much deeper your love will grow when you bring a child into the world. It has deepened our bond beyond any measure.



I want us to be a shining example to Henry, to be the parents he deserves and to show the kind of love to one another that he will seek in his (distant) future lady. Let's not leave a hug untouched or a kiss unturned, even if one day he thinks it's gross. I don't want there ever to be a doubt in Henry's mind that his parents loved each other very much! We took a vow to each other, and that meant to our future selves as well- as parents, future in-laws, and very distant future grandparents. I think we're embracing it beautifully.


I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that it's been a tough year, with the passing of Andy, but as I reflect on our time with him, I still feel his love in our lives. He got to be there for many of our first steps together and I'm so thankful for that. He got to meet his son's first born son and there's nothing in the world that can erase the memory of you introducing Henry to your Dad. It was a beautiful moment and I'm so thankful that he got to be there.




…and now as we watch with pride as our son will soon take his first steps, let us not forget all the steps that brought us to this place. I sometimes ponder on whether I'd do anything different in life if I was given the chance and I always come back to the same thought- 'I wouldn't be the person I am today and I may never have met you if I would've changed even the smallest of things.'


I am sure of one thing, though, for better or for worse, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, from our first steps together until our last, I will always love you.



Happy two year Anniversary, babe! Cheers to many, many more!

Heisel Rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment