Matt ROCKS

There's no place like home...there's no place like home...


Sunday, March 2, 2014

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I've made this soup countless times before and had every intention of posting on the blog. Well, I suppose I got busy because it never happened. But today was particularly cold outside and soup seemed the right thing to make for dinner.

This soup is really creamy and yummy. Although not the healthiest, what with the bacon grease an all, but it's so good! You won't regret making this yummy goodness! The best part? It's a one pot meal!



Ingredients-
1 pack bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
4-5 medium potatoes, chopped
1 broccoli head (or 1 bag frozen), chopped
3 cups milk
3 cups water
5 tsp chicken bouillon
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1/4 cups all purpose flour
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (set aside 1 cup for garnish)
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 package cream cheese

Directions-
Cut bacon into small pieces and cook in tall pot until crispy. Pull bacon out, leaving the "juices" in the pot. Add all veggies and simmer for 5 minutes to start to soften them. Add water and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil. Add 2 cups milk, salt and pepper, and allow it to boil another few minutes (to soften the veg). In a separate container, combine flour and 1 cup milk until combined, then add to the pot to thicken. Stir well.

Allow the soup to come to a simmer again to get really hot. Reduce heat and add all cheeses. Note- the cream cheese takes a few minutes to combine and become creamy, but I promise, it will combine.

Garnish soup with cheese and crumbled bacon, green onions if you don't forget them at the grocery store like I did. :) And get some really good crusty bread to use for dipping.

Get creative and mix up the cheeses. I always add mozzarella and cream, but I've used pepperjack and colby jack in place of cheddar. I like to buy cheese in the blocks and shred it myself. I'm not a glutton for punishment, they just taste fresher. :)

Enjoy!

Heisel Rules! {the Kitchen}

No comments:

Post a Comment