Soo I've talked about this a couple of times on Facebook and to various family and friends so I figured it was high time I actually write about it, especially considering the profound impact it had on me. :)
I heard about this group "Beauty Revealed Project" through Facebook a couple months back and thought, "Oh, that sounds like fun", but what it would reveal in me would be life changing!
I've always been fairly confident and had a good body image. I've been mostly active and healthy my whole life. Of course, I had never had a baby or had to even think about how I would feel about my changing body when I became pregnant and then afterwards. However, becoming pregnant and having to deal with weight gain in such a rapid manner made me sort of self conscious. I wasn't really prepared. I know, that sounds crazy- not being prepared for weight gain during pregnancy, but I thought I wouldn't gain as much as I have. Two years ago I successfully completed weight watchers and lost nearly 30 pounds only to turn around and gain it back, and then some, now. That's hard.
Fast forward to the day of the shoot. I was so excited to be taking part in a fun photo shoot and to meet some new ladies, but I still didn't have any idea exactly to how deep this group would touch my heart and my life.
Still curious as to "why" we were all there, the photographer started the meeting and asked everyone if they were ready to bare it all? I was taken aback by the responses of some of the ladies, who were really beautiful. I mean, beautiful inside and out. I was surprised that they saw themselves as flawed. At this point I must point out that I was the only pregger at the shoot (~30 weeks), everyone else had already experienced motherhood outside of the body. It was talking to the ladies, then, that I realized the depth of their beauty. Many women in the group had birthed their babies, get this- at their home or a birthing center. WHAT?! Not a HOSPITAL?! No drugs?? I even smugly admitted that day, "No way, give me the drugs!!" Very little did I know, I'd later eat my words. I was close-minded, but *secretly* a spark of curiosity was lit inside of me.
As the shoot went on I could see the women opening up more and feeling more confident. It was right at that moment that I realized WHY we were there. It was suddenly obvious that we were placed in each other's lives, at that exact moment, to encourage each other, to embrace the beauty of our own body and each other's bodies, during pregnancy, in my case, and post baby. We each had a role to play that day, and that was to be there for each other. We were all united for one reason-to show the world that THIS is real, true beauty, not what you see in those photoshopped mags. This journey was about learning to love our bodies just the way they are.
This, ladies and gentlemen, was truly inspiring.
Here's my blurb that I wrote to describe my why-
"Pregnancy- the most beautiful time in a woman’s life. Or so I’ve been told. What I wasn’t told is the insecurity that comes with the weight gain, cellulite, stretched skin, and the constant sweating, which I’m sure is what people confuse with “the glow”. I simply wasn’t prepared to deal with all these new body changes. I felt fat. What I didn’t realize is that I was comparing myself to others and trying not to stress when I surpassed the “norm” 20-25 pounds that you SHOULD gain. Then, I stopped comparing myself and decided to embrace my perfectly imperfect new body. Thanks to my husband's encouragement, “I’m not fat, I’m pregnant” has become my mantra. And when my belly deflates, and I’m left to deal with the scars and stripes of motherhood, I’ll embrace them like the badge of honor they are- They are my life, they hold my stories, they are ME. Perfectly imperfect me." -2013
So, how did it change my life?
My BRP sisters have taught me that women are powerful beings by nature. We are not broken, we are not flawed. We are uniquely beautiful, each and every one of us.
To all you beautiful BRP calendar girls-
Thank you for awakening me. Thank you for the encouragement and for inspiring me to be strong, to be courageous and to be open to new ideas. It's because of you that I have expanded my idea of what kind of experience I want for Henry's BIRTHday! I'm considering all sorts of new things involving birth and motherhood that I never would have even imagined for myself. Thank you for the new outlook, but most of all, the great friendship! {BIG hugs}
BRP gave me new, wonderful friends and a new body image outlook now and beyond birth! If you're interested in participating in a photo shoot like this, look up Beauty Revealed Project and try to get one started near you! Who knows what this "project" will teach you! :)
Photos credits- Grace Abounds Photography and Parsons Photography.
Heisel Rules! {the Bump}











You, my dear, are absolutely stunning. Inside and clearly outside as well. ;) I'm so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! I was not one of the women to gain 25lbs either, had a lot of the same feelings. You will get your body back, and it will be better than before, because you will be working out to be a healthy momma for little Henry. Try to embrace to journey.
ReplyDelete