Matt ROCKS

There's no place like home...there's no place like home...


Sunday, June 2, 2013

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes

I'm so glad the weather is getting warmer and I'm able to make fruity sweets now! I've been on quite a lemon kick here lately,  I've noticed. Plus, the contrast of the sweet and tart is just yummy!






I took a shortcut on this cupcake and used a boxed lemon mix since I had it in my cupboard.

Cupcake-
Follow the directions on the box. I used a mini cupcake pan because I love to bring mini cupcakes to parties. Easy and bite size! Bake at 350 for 11 minutes.


For the Filling-
3-4 cups strawberries (before pureeing, should make about 2 cups after puree)
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp honey

Puree the strawberries using a blender or mixer. I used a blender to get them really fine. Pour puree into sauce pan on medium heat. Add vanilla, honey and half of the sugar. Let gently bowl for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. In a separate bowl, combine pectin (I used Ball brand) and the other half of the sugar. (The package says combine 1 ½ cups sugar with pectin, but I wanted my puree to have sugar to start to thicken).  Add pectin to cooled puree. Let stand or cool in fridge to thicken.

Hollow out a small portion of the center of the cupcake. I used a small piping tip. Using the larger side, gently push and turn into center of cupcake and cake will come out when you pull the piping tip out. Fill with strawberry filling (¼ tsp for minis), and then put the small piece of cupcake back in the hole you made. (The pic is showing them all filled)



Strawberry Buttercream Icing-
3 sticks unsalted sweet butter (at room temp)
3-4 cups powder sugar
¾ cup strawberry puree (I used what was leftover from the filling and it gave the PERFECT strawberry taste!)

In a mixer, blend butter until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add powder sugar. Start with 3 cups and then add more later if needed. Add strawberry puree and blend on medium speed until well combined. I had to add more powder sugar, 4 cups total. Should be pretty thick. Pour into piping bag and pipe using large star tip. (I purchased this at Wal-Mart and it was only $3 for 3 large tips!)

*Optional (I’m all about the garnish, and I’m over the top so I did this…)
Slice a lemon in thinish slices and then quarter. Dredge the slices through Country Time Lemonade dry mix to give a little more sweet tart. Put on top of Iced cupcakes. This gave the sweet strawberry icing some tart. SO good!
You could also just zest a lemon over the top of the cupcakes.

Enjoy!

Heisel Rules! {the Kitchen)


No comments:

Post a Comment